With the mobile suit itself finished, we move onto the next step, the wing units and dragoons. Otherwise known as the tedious part. We all joke about weapons block, or decal block, and what not that tends to hit almost every model kit out there, but in this case, the Strike Fredeem has boring repetitive parts block. I found the best way to handle this was to just do it in bits and pieces off and on over the last week and a half or so. Business trips and the usual company affairs did keep me away for some nights so it’s not like it really takes that long. It just feels like it does.
So, onto the dragon units themselves. Considering that there are eight dragoons, I went ahead and knocked this out over a couple of nights. I did a couple the first night to get it down, then set up an assembly to knock out the rest the next day. In particular, nothing special about this, just a gimmick to slide the “thruster” part of the dragoon in when you attach it to the wing tip.
After working on the dragoons, we move onto the wings themselves. Basically there are four wing units with two wing tips, if that makes sense. It still means that you’re building eight wing tip units though. I knocked these out as well over three nights doing two or three units a night.
What you don’t see in the above pictures are the gold decals that are put on to highlight the wings and dragoons. I’m planning on saving those after panel lining and top coating. Overall, the wings are just huge. The length of one is easily the height of your average MG. The interlocking movement, while simple, works well. The downside is that the gold latticework, for lack of a better word, doesn’t pop back into the wing easy on some of the wings. Also, like Buster noted, putting the dragoons on and having them stay in the closed position can be touchy sometimes. I’ve taken apart a few of the wings and put them back together, but still have touch parts, or less that smooth movement.
Overall, the gimmicks work well, but when you have 8 of the same thing, the probability of one of those wings not working as well as stated increases significantly. While good for posing as well, there is no extra attachments for the back to have dragoons flying around, like the MG Hi-Nu. Again, I come back to very solid kit, but with some design choices left to be questioned…
So that leaves very little left to do, just the connecter for the wings and the backpack. But that will be a section all its own, as I plan on tackling the wing joint fix.