We had some decent weather on Saturday, so I sat down to knock out painting another batch of parts. I did all the black parts, followed by a majority of the red parts. All that’s left is about 15~20 of the small red pieces, the waist and head piping, thrusters, and weapons. Actually, saying that, I realize I’m still not anywhere near done, but today I’m going to go ahead and do the big reveal on the colors, or at least the main ones.
So for the materials, I’m using the following colors:
- Red pieces: Tamiya Color Spray TS53 – Deep Metallic Blue + TS13 Clear Glossy
- Black pieces: Tamiya Color Spray TS64 – Dark Mica Blue + TS13 Clear Glossy
- Gold pieces: Tamiya Color Spray TS30 – Silver Leaf
- Inner frame: Tamiya Color Spray TS42 – Light Gun Metal
Additionally, I’ve used the Metallic Silver Gundam Marker for some additional areas, mainly the little cylinder pipe that is used in the back of the foot. Having near finished the leg parts, I’m debating on going back and highlighting the back of the knee as well as the tiny little thruster outlets on the left/right side of the calves with it or the Silver Leaf.
I’m planning on using the following colors as well for other parts:
- Thrusters (outer bell) Tamiya Color Spray TS71 – Smoke
- Thrusters (inner bell) Haven’t decided, maybe silver leaf
- Weapons Tamiya Color Spray TS38 – Gunmetal
- Power cables Haven’t decided, either silver leaf, light gunmetal or smoke
- Booster tanks Haven’t decided, probably light gunmetal or gunmetal
Looking back, I think I could have used Mica Silver or Metallic instead of Silver Leaf Silver since my other main colors are metallic and mica flavored, but I was really impressed by Gaijn Gunpla’s Silver Leaf Shin Musha Gundam that I wanted to give it a go.
A few notes about the colors I’m using. Metallic Blue really needs a few layers of coat on it to bring out it’s shine. It’s good to also throw a coat of glossy clear on it afterwards as well to help make it glow. The Dark Mica Blue on black is really close to black so it may be hard to tell in the pictures, but up close it has really nice sparkles as well. I’ve put a coat of glossy clear on these pieces as well. Overall, the biggest problem with these two main colors though is they tend to be affected by humidity. I discovered that painting on a humid day would make the colors come out flat, which would require more coats to get it up to spec. Unfortunately the summer weather has not been so summer like, which means I’m facing 90% humidity some days. Saturday afternoon it dropped down to around 65% so I went for it, and managed to get great results on just the initial coats of color. I let them sit and taking a look in the evening and man don’t they look nice.
Next up is going to be the painting of the silver lines on the black pieces. I decided to hand paint because masking would drive me insane. I may end up masking though because I really my brush technique sucks completely though. I went and sprayed a bunch of silver leaf into a spare jar to pool it up, and tried painted a few pieces, but it’s kinda eh. After having the main armor come out really nice, I don’t want to have the look ruined by a crappy hand painting job.
Anyways, all together the feet, arms, back thruster set is done. The legs are done save for the knee parts. I’ve been putting waterslides on parts as well as I’ve gone, but that’s going to take a while in itself. So, now that I’ve revealed the colors, let’s see how what I’ve got done looks.
Unfortunately it looks like crappy weather this week (yay, typhoon, fun for all) mixed in wtih the summer holidays means that most likely nothing else is going to get done this week painting wise. Guess that will give me some quality waterslide application time!
——- E D I T ——-
Just to give you guys a clearer idea of the metallic blue, here’s a closer up shot of the boosters I took last week.